House clearances can be a daunting task, especially when you need to deal with items you no longer need or use. So when it comes to clearing out your home, it’s important to avoid the following 4 common house clearance mistakes.
Failing to plan
One of the biggest mistakes that people make when clearing out their homes is not having a plan in place. A plan will help you stay organised and focused throughout the entire process.
So make a list of the rooms and areas that you need to clear out, deciding which items you want to keep, donate, sell or throw away. You may also want to consider renting a storage unit if you need extra space to store items that you want to keep but don’t have room for in your home.
- Make a list of the rooms and areas that need clearing out.
- Decide which items to keep, donate, sell or throw away.
- Consider renting a storage unit if you need extra space.
- Decluttering is paramount to a successful clearance.
Not grouping items
Another common mistake when planning for a house clearance is not grouping items. That’s because separating items into categories helps you quickly identify what you want to keep and what you want to donate, sell or trash. It’s important to be ruthless at this point – only keep items that you genuinely love or use regularly.
- Group items into categories (e.g. clothes, books, kitchenware).
- Separate items into donations, sales or trash.
- Only keep items you truly love or use regularly.
Handling larger items yourself
Trying to handle larger items yourself is another mistake that people often make when clearing out their homes. It can be tempting to do everything yourself to save money, but this can be dangerous and difficult and lead to injuries.
To avoid this mistake, it’s best to hire professionals who have the experience, equipment and training to move large items safely and efficiently.
- Moving large items yourself is risky and can cause injuries.
- Hire experienced professionals with proper equipment for safe handling.
- Professionals move large items safely, reducing the risks of injury and damage.
Choosing a company with limited experience
Another common mistake is choosing a house clearance company with limited experience. It’s important to do your research and choose a reputable company that has experience in house clearances. A reputable company will have the necessary skills and experience to handle all types of house clearances, from small apartments to large homes.
Before choosing a company, it’s important to check their credentials, read online reviews and ask for references. Make sure they’re insured and their employees are trained and experienced in house clearance. You should also make sure that they have the necessary equipment to handle the job, such as trucks and packing materials.
- Research companies before making your decision.
- Check credentials, read online reviews and ask for references.
- Choose a reputable company that has experience in house clearances.
Call the house clearance experts today!
Clearing a house can be a daunting task, but it’s important to be well-prepared and avoid common mistakes. With over 35 years’ experience in clearing properties, Lighthouse Estate Clearance makes the task of clearing your home a stress and hassle-free process.